EQUIPMENT → Electron Microscopy
Our electron microscopy equipment is a Tabletop Microscope
- lightweight by design, using a diaphragm pump instead of a rotary pump and a turbomolecular pump instead of a diffusion pump to achieve a useful vacuum for observation.
- the vacuum is on the low side, so it is a semi-environmental SEM and quite tolerant of moisture.
- The SEM functions by a touch screen and features automated astigmation, focusing, start up and alignment.
- A serious use for this instrument is screening plant and insect mutants in genetic studies where rapidity of specimen exchange is needed and high resolution is not.
- Minimal specimen preparation is required because the imaging mode used is tolerant of moisture and charging.
- Accelerating voltage: 5 or 15 kV, tungsten source
- Magnification: X 15 to X 30,000
- 30 nm resolution
- Backscattered detector only
- Charge reduction mode (which uses higher chamber pressure) allows imaging of uncoated samples
- Easy to use and portable
llows imaging of uncoated samplesEasy to use and portable